Frequently asked questions:

How much does the program cost?

OUR PROGRAM IS ABSOLUTELY FREE OF CHARGE! Furthermore, we cover the following costs: 

- plane tickets to China and airport pick-up with further transfer to the final destination

- all visas needed during the contract period (we cover consular fee, as well as visa agency and courier fares whenever needed)

online TEFL course (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)

- accidental insurance

- rent for the accommodation during the tenure of employment

- VPN for unblocking sites and apps on all devices (shared bandwidth) 

- help with instant money transfers (China to Russia and Russia to China)

We do not deduct anything from your salary in China,

as well as provide you with the benefits of all-inclusive customer support starting from the first interview in Russia until the end of your contract in China

On top of that you can enjoy an amazing bonus at the end of the contract - free return ticket from China to Thailand/Malaysia

Visas and documents

According to the recent changes in Chinese visa legislation, there are 3 major types of long-term visas for Russian citizens: 

1) Work Visa («Z» type). This type of visa enables you to legally enter China in order to get your temporary residence permit, as well as to work in the country within its validity period (usually 12 months) with no limitations as per crossing any of the Chinese borders. It's worth mentioning that according to the international classification, Russians are not considered to be native English speakers, which, in its turn, strips them off the formal right to apply for a work visa as an English teacher in China. Nevertheless, it's quite possible to apply for a work visa on a different position, e.g. as a manager at a curriculum planning department of a school.  

You are qualified for a work visa application as long as you hold a Bachelor's or Master's degree in any major obtained in the Russian Federation. Even though the application process is a bit time-consuming and requires a great deal of patience on your part when it comes to formalities, our company guarantees its expert guidance and professional assistance in preparation of all the necessary documents, such as legalization of diploma and non-criminal report, reference letter from the previous place of employment, filled in health check form, the original of the Employment contract signed with the Chinese employer, etc. 

Given the new Chinese visa policy (taking effect in June 2019), a lot of agencies and Internet resources are brainwashing you into very low chances of getting work visa to China. In reality, this is far from the truth on condition that you meet the obligatory work permit application requirements, submit the full package of the authentic documents required and follow the procedure regulations to the letter! Indeed, your work visa application might not go through even if all your papers are perfectly fine, but in this case, we bear full responsibility for your visa situation and arrange alternative options so that you don't have to come back to Russia prematurely.

2). Business visa («М» type). This type of visa has several subtypes with different duration of validity period. It enables you to legally stay and work in China as a private enterpreneur for a period of up to 12 months (depending on the particular subtype). One of its peculiarities is an obligation to cross the country's border once in 30/60 days (depending on the particular subtype). Normally, business visa has age limitations and depends on the previous Chinese visa history. That's why we use it as a back-up option in case work visa application is impossible for whatever reason or fails but only on condition that your place of employment is located in the city relatively close to one of the Chinese borders. In such a case, your transportation cost will come down to a return metro (or bus) ride once a month. In worst-case scenario, come the necessity to fly to a different province/country to apply for/extend a Chinese visa, TEACH PANDA will kindly cover the cost of the return plane ticket for you! 

3). Student Visa («X2» type). This type of visa gives you the right to legally stay in China for as long as 6 months straight and to travel inside but not outside of the country (this one-entry visa automatically expires once you cross the country's border). X2 visa is designed for those willing to learn Chinese or any other course (e.g. business startup course) at one of the universities in China. Again, we resort to this type of visa only in case work visa application is impossible or fails. 

Usually our teachers who have never been to China before, start their journey on a tourist visa («L» type). This short-term visa gives you the right to legally stay in China as a tourist for 30/60 days (depending on the particular subtype) and is always followed by a long-term visa application as soon as it expires. In extreme cases, it can be extended several times, in which case, TEACH PANDA covers the related expenses.  

It's worth mentioning that in addition to «L», «М» and «X2» visa types, our teachers can sign a volunteer agreement with their school in China, which, in its turn, gives them the right to teach English there as international volunteers and eliminates legal employment issues. 

What do we offer?

We are carefully selecting the right long-term visa fit just for you! While doing so, we are aiming at the most comfortable and safe option of your staying in China well-matched both with your own background and current Chinese visa legislation. Today's absolute priority for our English teaching program in China for Russian citizens is work visa application. It's worth mentioning that TEACH PANDA is well versed in the work visa application process for the citizens of Russia, Ukraine and Bosnia. Over 3,5 years of our operation in Europe, we have gained an invaluable experience in appying for different types of visas for our teachers while guiding them through the whole document preparation and visa application processes from scratch, as well as covering all visa-related expenses.  

This is why by choosing us you are choosing a peace of mind, which will always keep you on the safe side! 

What do I need to take with me?

It depends on your daily needs. Except for the clothes* and personal belongings of vital necessity, we'd suggest to take some bed linen and shower towels, as well as basic kitchen items (e.g. a cup, spoon, fork) since most of the provided apartments won't have those. As for the rest, you can always buy it on the spot cheaper than in Russia! By the way, shopping in China is really fun since you can order online anything you can think of (be it a washing powder, buckwheat cereal or a hairdryer) at a very good price with free delivery to your door. Moreover, if you don't like what you've got or have simply changed your mind, you can immediately return it to the courier for free! 

* It's worth mentioning that in 80% of cases we offer the jobs in the South of China with subtropical climate where the temperature never goes below +12*C (even in the coldest winter months), that's why, there is no need to take winter clothes with you, even though a good umbrella or a raincoat would come in handy for a rainy season. 

A personal laptop and USB flash with the scanned copies of the main documents on it would also be a good idea. And of course, a first aid kit with basic over the counter pills, such as pain killers, anti-cold drugs, meds against food poisoning. Fyi, you can find the analogues of any drug in any pharmacy store in China if only in some cases a bit more expensive than in Russia depending on what exactly you are looking for. Interesting fact: any doctor in China will give you two kinds of prescription for any condition: an ordinary one and prescription for traditional Chinese herbal medicine. That's why you can choose either of the two treatments: ordinary medication is less expensive and works faster, but there are multiple side effects whereas traditional Chinese medicine is not cheap at all and the effect takes weeks, but it's more long-lasting and generally safer than its chemical alternative, moreover, all Chinese healers swear on its efficiency!  

How big is the difference between Eastern European and Chinese cuisine?

You should consider a big difference between western and eastern food. There is a limited choice of dairy products in the local supermarkets, and when you do stumble over a piece of butter or a jar of sour cream you are looking for, it might cost you a fortune. So it’s better to get ready for a variety of yogurts, eggs, soy milk, tofu and beans that are regularly in stock. Unfortunately, beef and different kinds of sausages are a rare find either, however, you can feast on cheap chicken fillets and abundant seafood. Another thing which might come as a surprise is a deficiency of cereals, for example, buckwheat, which, nevertheless, you can always order online with delivery to your door. Unlike in Europe, a wide range of fresh fruit and veggies grown in China are available 365 days per year, moreover, they are among best and the cheapest in the world!

Most locals, as well as the majority of participants of our program prefer eating out since it's convenient, delicious and rather affordable (ironacally, eating out might be cheaper than cooking at home). Amazing street food options and restaurant delights at reasonable prices attract thousands of locals and foreigners alike. In certain provinces of China the dishes at the restaurant are normally served spicy, but you can always let the waiter know about your spice preferences when making an order. By the way, it's worth mentioning that not every Chinese province is into spicy food (the spiciest of all is Sichuan whereas Guangdong, for instance, as well as the whole South of the country is the complete opposite). You should keep in mind that its possible to find anything you want in China ranging from the exotic local delicatessen with snakes and scorpios BBQ, dry bugs and spiders to exquisite Russian restaurants that serve potato pancakes, Russian salad and caviar rolls, the latter being notoriously expensive. All in all, if you are fed up with Chinese flavors and miss your favorite home made meals, you can always cook yourself since all of the apartments for our teachers are equipped with electric stoves while the fresh ingredients are readily available at minimarkets, open-air stores and even online!*

*Please, note that the food delivery service in China is very prompt, convenient and surprisingly cheap. 

Overall, average food prices are 20% more than in Russia, while your monthly salary is times higher. Combined with the fact that you don't pay for accommodation and transportation, TEACH PANDA is a unique deal! 

What to do with blocked Internet services in China?

It's sadly true that since 2008 all Google, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and Instagram platforms are blocked by the Chinese officials. Luckily, there is a magic wand called VPN. Using this tool you can enjoy all the Internet resources, such as your favorite sites and mobile apps just as you used to do in Russia. We'll sure help you to install our VPN with the shared bandwidth for free. However, for those interested in downloading big media files, such as music and movies, it's a good idea to select a personal VPN plan, which will cost you just a few dollars per month.  

Can I learn Chinese by participating in this program?

Not only you can, but you should! One of the most popular learning options is "language exchange" (learning Chinese with a language exchange partner). This form of mastering a language is absolutely free of charge and beneficial for both parties. It works like this: you offer your Russian or English in exchange for his/her Chinese. For example, the lesson is two hours: for the first hour you are acting as the teacher, and during the second one you turn into a student! "Language exchange" method is especially beneficial for those who want to make new Chinese friends, as well as to get to know the culture better. There are many local forums and other platforms dedicated to this topic, so you can easily find your language exchange partner online. Otherwise, you can select a more professional approach and join the group lessons with a native Chinese teacher or to go even further and hire a real Chinese tutor. The cost of one private lesson varies between 50-100RMB per hour in big cities and 30-60 in smaller towns. Learning can take place at any venue on any day convenient for you with either morning or evening schedule. Apart from this, big training centers usually offer a unique opportunity to their foreign teachers - to attend group classes of Chinese for free! All in all, no matter what method of learning you prefer, the Chinese will be very enthusiastic and interested in teaching their language to you regardless!

How can I live in China if I don't speak Chinese?

Easily! You don’t have to speak Chinese with your students since it’s forbidden during English lessons. Kids are supposed to be surrounded by English-speaking environment only. So you can be at ease during your working hours! Moreover, in the majority of cases, you will be surrounded by people who speak English, such as fellow teachers (foreigners, as well as locals), Chinese assistants and managers of a training center or a kindergarten, thus, you can get by in your everyday life at work by speaking English alone. There's also a high probability that some Russian-speaking guys are living in your city in China or maybe even working at your school, so you can keep in touch for making new friends and a more comfortable adaptation period. 

A great deal of the local population (especially younger people!) know basic English, therefore, they are always eager to help you with anything you need! However, it's worth mentioning that a lot of the Chinese tend to be rather shy, that's why get preparared for an long awkward silence and a very timid reply when you are asking a question to somebody in the street.

Moreover, it's always a good idea to join international communities, such as Couchsurfing, Global Friendship, etc. In any event, our office in China is always there for you to make your experience comfy and enjoyable! 

How soon do I start teaching in China?

You can participate in our program as soon as you are ready to go to China 12 months per year since we don't rely on the beginning of an academic year/semester. Our biggest partners - private training centers recruit teachers based on the actual demand due to the escalating number of students enrolled. That's why you don't really need to delay the participation in our program until September, fo example. Don't hesitate to submit your application today and we will promptly arrange all the interviews and guide you through the document preparation routine! 

On average, it takes an applicant 1 month before he/she starts teaching in China. However, the duration of the recruitment process really varies depending both on the candidate himself/herself (level of English mastery and pronunciation; meeting deadlines for providing application materials; availability of basic documents required) and on the high/low academic season in China (the peaks of recruitment usually fall on September and February).

Will I have a vacation?

Every teacher is entitled to all Chinese official holidays on a full pay. Great news: public holidays in China are rather long (at least 21 calendar days per year). Besides, on top of the national days off, all participants of our program can enjoy 3 to 14 days of paid annual leave (the actual number of days depends on the particular employer). And one more benefit: if you extend your employment contract for the second period, you may be granted an additional paid annual leave to take a break after your first 12-15 months of work are over, which you can use for travelling or visiting your relatives and friends in Russia. 

Where will I live?

Usually we provide you with a private apartment, which is a walking distance from your work place (you pay only utilities, which is no more than $25 per month while your rent is kindly paid by TEACH PANDA in full, including first and last month prepayment, damage deposit, real estate agency commission, etc.). Sometimes if you got a job in the center of a big city (where prices for accommodation are considerably higher in comparison with other places in China), you might be offered a spacious private room in a shared apartment (maximum 2 teachers in a vast two-/three-bedroom apartment). In this case you have your own cozy room which can be locked (sometimes with your own private bathroom) and common area, such as living-room and kitchen. All provided accommodations are furnished and equipped with everything you need for a comfy staying! 

Is it possible to do instant money transfer from/to China?

TEACH PANDA is one of the few agencies that enables its clients not only to make money but also to manage their finances efficiently!  

With our help you can easily transfer any amount (including relatively small transactions) from China to Russia and from Russia to China with no need to visit the bank in person, no commission for converting money and no additional wire transfer fee. It's cheaper and much more convenient than MoneyGram and Western Union (especially if you want to send less than $1000). Moreover, the money will land on the receiver's bank account in a matter of minutes! This service will save you a lot of time, effort and funds! All you need is an installed WeChat phone App and access to the Internet, and we will kindly consult you on the procedure. 

How much money can I make if I participate in this program?

The average monthly salary we offer to our teachers is $1200 of net income (basic contract rate), but there's a great opportunity to take part times - either taking extra teaching hours at your educational establishment or working as a private tutor (approximately $25 per hour), which can help you make a combined income of $2000 a month and above. It should also be noted that considering the low cost of living in China and the fact that you are not paying for rent, transportation, visas, etc., you can easily save up from $500 to $1500 every month even during your first year as a teacher. And if choose to continue working in China for the second year, your monthly salary after tax will be increased by 50-80% while you can make as much as $4000 if you work extra hours. That's why more than 80% of our teachers prefer to stay in China for the second year.  

Cost of living. How much do different services cost?

Prices in China are no more than 20-30% higher than in Russia and are considerably lower than in Western Europe and the US. The cost of living for a foreigner is 2000-3000RMB per month (~$450).

  • Metro ride: 3-7RMB (depending on the distance)
  • Bus ride: 2RMB
  • Taxi ride: 13RMB + 2,3RMB for every kilometer (ordinary taxi ride in a city costs 20-30RMB)
  • Lunch in a cafe/restaurant: 25-70RMB
  • Buying groceries: 90-300RMB. The prices differ a lot between local Chinese stores and the foreign ones (e.g. Auchan, BHG, Carrefour, Spar, Walmart etc. are much more expensive)
  • Cinema: 30-120 yuan
  • Intercity train: 50-500 yuan (depending on the distance, speed of the train and comfort)
  • Tours & Excursions: 80-300 yuan per day

Haven’t found your question?


Write it and we will reply